Tuesday, August 29, 2006

How do people do this?

I am doing my best to be edifying and not cuss like a sailor!

But how in the *&#$ do uneducated people manage to cut through all the red tape!

We are on food stamps and Medi-Cal... when Amie was born I called and asked what I needed to give them. MY NEW case worker told me I needed to get a birth certificate. So I gave her a birth certificate. I new I needed a SS# and went to the SS Office. They said I needed a birth certificate and another form of identification. But because she was born at home... we had nothing. So I needed a medi-cal #. I called my case worker. SHE NEVER ANSWERS THE PHONE! But 4 days later I get a medi-cal card in the mail. Then my husband gets laid off. She asks for proof of unemployment amount. I sent it to her. Then I get a letter in the mail stating I need to give her proof of termination (Doesn't unemployment count?!?) and 1 months worth of paycheck stubs. After doing all of this I thought I was in the clear. Then I get a letter saying that my food stamps are being canceled at the end of the month! UG! So I read that unemployment is paying us $1800 a month and it is $200 more than the allowed income for 4 people... Well we have 5... clearly she didn't add Amie. So I call... NO ANSWER and leave 3 messages over 2 days. I get a letter in the mail saying she needs a SS#. So I call up the SS office and ask when Amie's card is coming. THEY HAVEN'T EVEN PROCESSED THE APPLICATION! So last week I was told my application would be processed and I would have a SS Card within 7 - 10 business days. But in that time... my food stamps will be canceled! So I called my caseworker and LEFT ANOTHER MESSAGE! I kindly asked for help. I have no idea what to do. That was friday... On Monday night I got an EMAIL from the SS office saying they have lost my application... and could I come back to fill out another one?!?!

DID I MENTION THAT ALL THESE OFFICES ARE 30 MILES AWAY?!?!?!

So I called my caseworker again today (Tuesday) to ask for help and still have no responce.

I am a well educated woman with a car that works and a husband at home who can watch the kids while I deal with this. How do others who are less fortunate DO THIS?!?!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That hurt my head.